Register  |  Home  |  Chat   |  ArmaBrowser  |  HowTo  |  Wiki  |  ServerStats  |  Donate  |  Forum  |  MapTools  |  Servers  |  Log in 
Forums
Information Desk
Latest News
Round Table
Servers
Trainees
Challenge us!
Off Topic

Clan Information
Public Clan Information
Active CTers+Trainees
All CTers+Trainees
Inactive CTers
CTers Earth Map
CT Groups
CT Medals
Armahacktron Wiki
Forum Ranks
Won/Lost Battles

Servers and Maps
ArmaBrowser
BFC New Ladder
CT Server Ladders
CT Mayhem Ladder
CTWF New Ladder
CT Server Maps
Flower Power Sumo Assault
Map Tools
Want to help? Donate

Jumble
HomeForum
CalendarChatMessengerIRC
Forum Members
LinksFAQ
NewsView Online

Search

Advanced Search

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Reply to topic

good idea?
yes
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
no
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12
Voter(s): wargasm, Durka, xevic, ed, Luzifer, Super Duck!, xs20, ~!ST@FF!~, syllabear, P4, theroze

Do we want cash? 
Ex-CTer
Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not a CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name: syllabear
GID: syllabear@ct/public
CT Wild Fort Rank: na
we can make some money if we want. if we create a new server that has 10 levels, and every month there are new maps, then we can charge people monthly - something like 1 to 3 euros - to play this map. people will do it if they get to play an exclusive 10 map/month level.

we can control the people who can play by adding a password and banning all IP's except people from ct like server techs and admins, and people who pay. also we can get those who want to play to sign a document that says they wont abuse our terms and conditions - not giving the password away.

the server would generate some money if people wanted to play it. however curently wild would be just as good. to stop people from thinking this we could phase out some levels on wild to make a cap of 4 maps/level, and no new maps for wild (all new ones go to the super server).

you could make the price and the cost to your liking, as well as the number of maps, rotation options and how often we replace maps (i will be happy to continue making maps for this). here is an idea:

1.5 euros/month
10 rounds no rotation, monthly new maps, allows server techs and admins only

1.four axis/maze
2.nano
3.chico
4.four axis
5.penta/deca
6.hexa
7.nano
8.octa
9.chico
10.diamond

oh well up to u

A key that opens many doors is a master key. A lock that is opened by many keys is a shit lock
View user's profile Find all posts by syllabear Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
GID: Not working
CT Wild Fort Rank:
Who would pay when there are others are free? Have you actually gotten feedback from people saying they WOULD pay?

To me it just sounds like a lot of work to maintain and administer. Not to mention, having to create 10 maps a month might mean we rush out inferior maps instead of making really cool maps.

As for Wild, it is popular because it has so many maps in rotation and crappy maps that players didn't like have been removed. Right Ed? Besides, Wild is Ed's baby... He would not be happy with someone saying his baby could no longer grow.

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
its just a suggestion. We could easilly make 10+ maps in one month. and if we couldnt in one month, then we could replay old favourites. (me, warg, ed, kyle and apparently voodoo can make maps. im teaching staff. pta? robed? loops? how many others can?)

as for the price, most people who play are adults and therefore have a job. job=money, therefore 50 euro cents isnt that much for them, but if we got 20 subscribers a month (just 20 we could get more) we would make 10 euros a month. this can go towards the servers and website

im not really too much for this project its just a suggestion, however it would make armagetron gameplay way better (as well as giving ct a private server we could use for battles to pwn)

A key that opens many doors is a master key. A lock that is opened by many keys is a shit lock
View user's profile Find all posts by syllabear Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Maniac
Field's place: attack
Grid Name: Durka
GID: Durka@ct/public
horrible idea...even if I was bill gates....well maybe then I'd pay

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
lol ok ok ok!

just an idea. really u wouldnt pay 50 euro cents to pay a level with loads of new maps?

not even if all our other maps were scrapped? (hope that doesnt happen i not rich enof to pay Very Happy)

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Donator (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not Ranked
Field's place: support
Grid Name: CT×X3V1
GID: xevic@ct/jedi
yes sylla, i think the odnate system isn't working really fine, but this is no a good way, but thx 4 the idea. sure it's based on asian sponsoring type Razz well also 4 americans, i remembered barça's preseason this summer when they played a few matches on mexico and usa, and the speakers were all the match trying to sell things and making send sms to people, lol.

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Ladle, 1x (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
Field's place: sweeper
Grid Name: ct-eddie
GID: ed@ct/jedi
It would be nice if more people donated a few bob to help keep the servers running.
10 maps a month! Most would end up being variations of the same theme. I don't think people would pay for that.

Will rot in Hell
Field's place:
Grid Name: Luzifer
GID: Luzifer@ct/public
I totally agree with Wargasm. Nobody will pay for a server if all the other servers are for free.

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place:
Grid Name: Racer
GID: PTA@ct/jedi
First, I have to say it's not the question if we WANT cash, but if we WOULD GET cash. I don't think so. There are so many free servers and it's not very difficult to copy our server....I would look forward to players, who pay because they like the server (and especially Cters). @durka: if you would pay, then do it now! we need the money!
We don't need much, but atm we get nothing. Even if you pay 1 or 2 euro, it will help.
Btw: have I missed something? Yesterday, we had a traffic usage of 4.7GB...do we have a new server (I'm not informed, I'm currently on holiday till friday)?

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
PTA wrote:
Yesterday, we had a traffic usage of 4.7GB...do we have a new server (I'm not informed, I'm currently on holiday till friday)?

Um, The CTF has times of high usage. I guess yesterday was one of those.
And people are using Dogfight more now with the tourney starting.

What's the limit? Shall I take CTF off?

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Donator (Amount: 1)
Field's place: support
Grid Name: CT×X3V1
GID: xevic@ct/jedi
maybe we can make a round of ctf on wild, also one with shoot'em, using actual maps on the rotation....

can help to save 3 servers on 1.

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:
Okay, lets assume for a moment that we DO create a server with new maps every month and charge for admittance. I honestly cannot see many people accessing the server because they don't want to just waste their money.

However, what if we raise the ante. Instead of just paying for access to the server, they are paying to play for prize money. The details could be toyed with, but figure pool all the entrance fees and deduct like 10% for the server admin. The remaining 90% could be distributed to the top players in each class, like 50% to the 1st place, 30% to the 2nd and 10% to the 3rd place winner.

Here is a possible structure of classes. Everyone would be in the Freshman class initially. Freshman winners are every month and the top three winners would win prizes and move to the Sophomore class.

Sophomore winners are every other month (at least 6 players) and the top two winners would win prizes and move to the Junior class.

Junior winners are every four months (at least 4 players) and the top winner would win a prize and move to the Senior class.

Senior winners are every year (at least 3 players) and winner takes the grand prize and trophy as best Armagetron player.

Entrance fees for higher classes will be automatically withdrawn from winnings in subseqent classes. Once you have won a higher class, you can no longer win in the lower class(es), but can still play for fun and practice.

In order to keep classes evened out, we reserve the right to drop classes if a class becomes too full in comparison to a lower class. Meaning, if there are more Sophomores than there are Freshmen, the worst players of the Sophomore class will be demoted to Freshmen until there are more Freshmen than there are Sophomores, more Sophomores than Juniors, etc.

If a player wishes to participate in a challenge month, they must be paid up for all months prior to the event. Meaning that if a Junior, for example, lost their initial match but wants to try again, they will have to remain paying for all 4 months, not just the 1 month the event will occur. If they drop out for the non-challenge months, they can come back in on the fourth month as long as they pay for the full 4 months. It would be better to remain playing to have fun and to stay in practice. Same goes for Senior, they would have to be paid up for a full year. The reason is because their prizes will be much higher.

Okay, I know I went a little overboard, but I was having fun thinking up this idea. What do you think?

P.S. Winners would be based on ranking as I had mentioned in another message, so actual challenge matches would not be requried. No time constraints. Play when you can. No benefit to playing more over playing less. Will have to have a requirement to play a certain number of rounds, though, otherwise someone could get really lucky on their first round and never play again that month. haha...

Last edited by wargasm on Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
CT Rank: 12
Field's place: def-sweep
Grid Name: ct¤kyle
GID: kyle@ct/jedi
What about the people who can't pay(like me)
and it won't get a lot of people because not a lot of people think they are good enough to bet on this

the best way to make money for the clan is put google adds on the bottom and get everyone to click them a lot

but i know ed doesen't want adds on this

In theory it should work in reality who knows if it will work.

MB53: I am 26 years old how can i be a teen ? Very Happy
owned: You got the heart of a teen Smile
Gonzap: and the innocence of a little child
View user's profile Find all posts by kyle Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:
If you wanted to play, you would pay. If you don't want to pay, you don't get to play here, you can still play the free servers. But you don't have a chance of winning money or being ranked either.

There is another option... Allow non-paying players in for fun. They can get ranked and enjoy the server, but they cannot win and cannot get promoted to higher classes. It would suck for them if they do well and would have won, but since they didn't pay they lose out on the winnings--but maybe they would pay to participate the next month. Just a thought.

That's the great thing. Newbies would have a chance, because all the good players would quickly ascend to higher classes and would be out of the running for winning the freshman class more than once.

I like your idea too... I am all for Google Ads... They are not intrusive and the site can earn a lot of money by getting us members to just click through on the ads... We don't have to purchase anything!

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
xevic wrote:
maybe we can make a round of ctf on wild, also one with shoot'em, using actual maps on the rotation....

can help to save 3 servers on 1.

Been thinking the same thing. That's why I'm testing the modified code on Wild, seems to work just dandy.
I'm messing with Zombie Shooting at the mo, it's a lot of fun.
Styball next, need to experiment, might be worth including.
I see a major reshuffle in the works.

And war's idea.
Works in principle, but even if we did get it to work, it would make it a fiercly competetive place.
This could be fun for a while, but I like to relax when I play.

If a dozen or so people donate 2-3 Euro's, that would pay for the server for a number of weeks.
That isn't a lot to ask, just click the donate button. If you have a paypal account, it's easy.
It's not fair PTA should have to pay for everyone.

In fact I haven't donated in a while.
PTA, 5 euro's coming your way.