Register  |  Home  |  Chat   |  ArmaBrowser  |  HowTo  |  Wiki  |  ServerStats  |  Donate  |  Forum  |  MapTools  |  Servers  |  Log in 
Forums
Information Desk
Latest News
Round Table
Servers
Trainees
Challenge us!
Off Topic

Clan Information
Public Clan Information
Active CTers+Trainees
All CTers+Trainees
Inactive CTers
CTers Earth Map
CT Groups
CT Medals
Armahacktron Wiki
Forum Ranks
Won/Lost Battles

Servers and Maps
ArmaBrowser
BFC New Ladder
CT Server Ladders
CT Mayhem Ladder
CTWF New Ladder
CT Server Maps
Flower Power Sumo Assault
Map Tools
Want to help? Donate

Jumble
Home Forum
Calendar Chat Messenger IRC
Forum Members
Links FAQ
News View Online

Search

Advanced Search

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Reply to topic
 P4's new box 
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
CT Rank: 18
Field's place: support
Grid Name: Armagetron
GID: P4@ct/jedi
CT Wild Fort Rank: na

I'm looking for completely new PC. I want to use it as server machine but it should also be able to handle games and developement stuff. What would you suggest?
I was thinking about AMD Phenom X4 9550 (B3) processor on some SMP board. I've read Phenom isn't much better than Intel Core 2 serie. Do you have any experience with SMP? What would you buy for yourself? Should i look in 64bit technology to be able to upgrade RAMs in future? Are there any other features of 64bit? I'd like to ommit problems related too 64 -> 32 bit stuff.
Additionaly 4GB DDR2 and 2x250GB SCSI HDD which should be able to work in RAID. I wouldn't like to spend more than 1000 for all that things.

ip information
View user's profile Find all posts by P4 Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Very Annoying
CT Rank: Not a CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
GID: epsy@ct/public
CT Wild Fort Rank:

for a server an old machine will do, keep a recent machine for "games and developpement"
but at all costs, don't use the same computer to do both tasks

Maniac
Field's place: attack
Grid Name: צxs20
GID: xs20@ct/public
intel > amd by a lot. get an intel core 2 Wink

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Bowl Winner (Amount: 1) defender, 3rd rank (Amount: 1) Fortress Cafe Tournament 1 Winner (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: 14
Field's place: def-sweep
Grid Name: CT~Voodoo
GID: Voodoo@ct/jedi
Basically, It's kind of pointless to have a top end cpu, a raid array and so on if you don't have the bandwidth to allow you to use this hardware.
So first, what's your network bandwidth ?
Also I agree with Epsy, better to have a smaller server (with a crappy crapy graphics card Wink) and a separate comp for your personal usage if you don't want to makes your server affected when you're compiling and playing (of course you will Wink) ...
Also you have to adjust cpu, memory, hard drive to fit your needs:
better a less powerful cpu and enough memory Wink
about HD, SCSI drives are very expensive. Except if you need a professional raid array, a normal raid controller (included on most recent motherboard) and fast SATA drives will be cheaper and fast enough ... Also, it is a good idea to have a separate one for swap if you can.

I use to run 3 teams fortress when I was testing it on a basic comp (athlon 2400+, 512Mo memory, normal drive not even raid, nvidia motherboard graphics ...) on a ADSL 2+ connection.
Even with 12 players the hardware was good enough. But the bandwidth was not ! Connected on my laptop on the server (local network), I did not feel any lag issue while other players ping fall down ... Actually, it was good enough up to 9 players.

Conclusion: save your money, get an normal comp with a cpu fast enough, put enough memory, a good set of hard drives in it and you'll have your server. With the money you save, put a good graphic card in your current comp and you will be happy...
View user's profile Find all posts by Voodoo Send private message Yahoo Messenger

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member

My old computer is very obsolete. I can save only 160GB hdd and dvd recodred from it. I guess i will use it as my firewall.
My network is only 1024/256 adsl, I'm gonna change it in a year or two (when Poland becomes better network infrastructure Razz)
What about symmetric multiprocessing? I'd like to use VMware on that computer, will it help?
I heard 32bit architecture can handle up to 4GB of RAM memory. Is it mean i have to use 64bit for more? Does all programs can run fluently on 64bit processor?
I also heard Intel is much more expensive and the company's politic doesn't like overclockers.

ip information
View user's profile Find all posts by P4 Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Very Annoying
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

mainly because overclocking breaks stuff

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Bowl Winner (Amount: 1) defender, 3rd rank (Amount: 1) Fortress Cafe Tournament 1 Winner (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: 14
Grid Name: CT~Voodoo
GID: Voodoo@ct/jedi
Again, it depends of what you expect to run on the server.
If you plan to run a arma server, you'll not be able to accept a lot of players with your current bandwidth or even with a top DSL connection.
So you'll probably don't need more than 4gb of memory which means a well balanced comp in term of cpu/memory will do the job.
About the use of a virtual machine, it is useful if you need to run another OS, or have separate environment to test different configuration (for web dev for example).
Multiboot will often do the trick for most users ...

About overclocking, it's a money eater hobby to win a few mHz Wink You start overclocking, you're comp become instable, you buy a new fan, a new cooler, etc ... eventually you'll burn out your cpu and need to buy a new one and have spend more money than getting a comp properly sized and configured ... I know, i've done that Wink the little improvement you'll get of it really don't deserve the problems you might face... of course the overclocking fans will say it's false Wink
View user's profile Find all posts by Voodoo Send private message Yahoo Messenger

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member

I want a box that will fit all my needs; if I want to play with blender or if I want DVD mastering stuff there, it shouldn't fail.
The computer should be high-end one, so it will be still arround top after 2 years or so upgrade won't be hard to apply.
SMP with 64bit processor(s) handled by linux (because i want features to be in use) will give me the most performance, isn't it?
Windows should be emulted on some virtual machine for stuff that needs to be run natively on windows.
I was thinking about water cooling too, maybe I'll buy it later.

I'd like to spend more money on that stuff than buy tons of hash or weed as usually... Smile
Donation to CT is coming up soon.

ip information

Very Annoying
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

P4 wrote:
Windows should be emulted on some virtual machine for stuff that needs to be run natively on windows.
I don't see the point, most dedicated server apps are available on linux

P4 wrote:
I was thinking about water cooling too, maybe I'll buy it later.

if you choose a core duo that's not really needed, dual cores have a good performance regarding temperature

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member

Just FYI, this is my new old box (bought several months ago in a hurry Razz)

ip information

Ex-CTer
Ladle, 2x (Amount: 1)
Grid Name: ct|SeBoL158
GID: sebol158@ct/public
and i just bought http://emobilne.pl/asus-ul30vt-qx002/ul30vt-qx002/product_info.php/products_id/2557 Very Happy