Register  |  Home  |  Chat   |  ArmaBrowser  |  HowTo  |  Wiki  |  ServerStats  |  Donate  |  Forum  |  MapTools  |  Servers  |  Log in 
Forums
Information Desk
Latest News
Round Table
Servers
Trainees
Challenge us!
Off Topic

Clan Information
Public Clan Information
Active CTers+Trainees
All CTers+Trainees
Inactive CTers
CTers Earth Map
CT Groups
CT Medals
Armahacktron Wiki
Forum Ranks
Won/Lost Battles

Servers and Maps
ArmaBrowser
BFC New Ladder
CT Server Ladders
CT Mayhem Ladder
CTWF New Ladder
CT Server Maps
Flower Power Sumo Assault
Map Tools
Want to help? Donate

Jumble
HomeForum
CalendarChatMessengerIRC
Forum Members
LinksFAQ
NewsView Online

Search

Advanced Search

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Reply to topic

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
CT Rank: 18
Field's place: support
Grid Name: Armagetron
GID: P4@ct/jedi
CT Wild Fort Rank: na

ye, i can't follow Razz

ip information
View user's profile Find all posts by P4 Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Addict
CT Rank: Not a CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
GID: 1200@ct/public
CT Wild Fort Rank:

Do you want 12 teams in single zone?

No they're just there to define the positions where the teams spawn. If there are 4 teams, they spawn in position 1,4,7 & 10
and if there are 3 teams they spawn in position 1,5 & 9. Two teams would be 1 & 7.

What if all of the spawn points are in the center of the zone, directed outside?

It's always good to try everything and see the advantage/disadvantage of such a configuration.
Though counter arguments i can think of are:
1. Teams are too close causing more deaths sooner.
2. It makes it easier for the two teams to gang up on 1 team at the start (if there were only 3 teams)

It's a circle so it's doesn't really matter

Well it does, on my diagram team 1 is closer to team3 thant to team2. I can post the amended diagram but i figure you guys'll understand...

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
Ladle, 1x (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: 9
Field's place: def-sweep
Grid Name: ct¤kyle
GID: kyle@ct/jedi
also team1 and and team 3 are much closer to the center of the zone, Following the paths you drew, it is about 15% more distance for team 2 to get to the center of the zone

In theory it should work in reality who knows if it will work.

MB53: I am 26 years old how can i be a teen ? Very Happy
owned: You got the heart of a teen Smile
Gonzap: and the innocence of a little child
View user's profile Find all posts by kyle Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Addict
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

Kyle you made me go looking for the trigonometry formulae I forgot long time ago….
And yea you’re absolutely right. Even though all those spawn positions are supposed to be exactly the same distance from the center of the zone, the distance of the path to the center are not quite equal….(what an interesting phenomenon when u can only move in 90 degree turns.)

So how about just moving the spawn position of Team 2 a little closer to compensate for the extra distance??? Would Team 2 now have an advantage?

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
i think team 1 and 3 would have to be moved a bit further away (don't want to have team 2 in the zone)

View user's profile Find all posts by kyle Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
i know these are not quite evenly spaced but each are the same distance from the center and i think it would be fair

EDIT: i should have placed arrows on them, team one and 3 spawn down and 2 goes to the left

Last edited by kyle on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Friend
Grid Name: ARilou
GID: ARilou@ct/public
Looks like this concept is moving more toward a hybrid of knockout and open sumo. And I'm seeing teams of up to 5 too Cool

Addict
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

i think team 1 and 3 would have to be moved a bit further away (don't want to have team 2 in the zone)

Yea i think that would be better than moving Team 2 in....

i know these are not quite evenly spaced but each are the same distance from the center and i think it would be fair

I disagree. I don't think that would be fair. I think team 1 would have the most advantage followed by team 2 then team 3 in that order. Why do you prefer this spawn configuration over the other???

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
each team would be exactly the same distance from the center of the zone

Addict
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

each team would be exactly the same distance from the center of the zone

And so too is the current 3 team spawan positions, which we all agree that isn't fair for the team that gets spawned inbetween the outside two teams. I'm not sure if its because its too hard to implement or maybe there are other reasons but do you agree that my spawn configuration is fairer?

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Clan Admin
1200 wrote:
... but do you agree that my spawn configuration is fairer?
no, it would take too long for team 2 to get to the center before the other 2 yours has team 1 and 3 about 30 degrees off a 90 degree angle and the other one 45 degrees off of a 90. mine all are 30 degrees off a 90. winch essentially means with 1 turn they all have the same distance to go to center. I know it is not the best configuration but moving a spawn point closer or farther in radial distance would also make it unfair further from the zone would have potential zone collapse and closer would be an advantage.

If i moved team 2 to the bottom they would all be evenly spaced but i would have to move them out about 27.6% farther away from the zone
diagram showing this maybe in a more clear way

Crazy Tronner
Ex-CTer but Clan Fellow
Fortress Cafe Tournament 1 Winner (Amount: 1) Ladle, 4x (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not Ranked
Field's place: attack
Grid Name: ct|Puuquie
GID: Puuquie@ct/fellow
Only 2 things

1) P4, since you changued the position of the external walls, i always get a horrible headache when i play on ctos.

2) Why instead of changing spawn positions only random teams position each time?

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
CT Rank: 18
Grid Name: Armagetron
GID: P4@ct/jedi

I didn't touch the walls, only the axes angles Razz

ip information
View user's profile Find all posts by P4 Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Addict
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:

no, it would take too long for team 2 to get to the center before the other 2

I thought we agreed that if we moved the team thats spawns 45 degree to the x/y axis 15% further then the time taken to reach the center is the same????

further from the zone would have potential zone collapse and closer would be an advantage.

Well, if we keep the relative positions and make sure they all fit inside the zone then the potential zone collapse wouldn't be a problem. Is being closer an advantage? That i am not sure. One team is geometrically closer to the center but it takes the same time or acutally longer to for them to get to the center because the team that spawns at the 45 degree angle intuitively would go in a zig zag fashion to the center making it necessary to make more turns. If the same team decides not to go towards the center in a zig zag fashion then they take a risk of giving away some of the zone to the team that is away from the direction they turn first.

If i moved team 2 to the bottom they would all be evenly spaced but i would have to move them out about 27.6% farther away from the zone

Well i did consider this configuration as well. I thought the one team that doesn't need to turn to get to the center had an advantage. Maybe it isn't. Its actually very similar to my spawn configuration only offset by 15 degree. I introduced the offset so that every team would have to make a turn at least once to get to the center as opposed to one team not having to make any turns. Also with my 15 degrees offset configuration the team that spawns further is only 15% further as opposed to 27% in this one. I think we really need to try it out in actual play to see what's the bestr but i think all these points should be considered.

Also after PMing this thread link to Zman i did get a brief reply from Zman. He too said that due to the limitation of the spawn directions one team will always be special. So i guess as long as this special team is chosen randomly every round and we can minimize the advantage/disadvantage of this team then that would be the optimal configuration.

PS: He did also add that this kind of thing requieres very special coding.

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Bowl Winner (Amount: 1) defender, 3rd rank (Amount: 1) Fortress Cafe Tournament 1 Winner (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: 14
Grid Name: CT~Voodoo
GID: Voodoo@ct/jedi
1200 wrote:
I thought we agreed that if we moved the team thats spawns 45 degree to the x/y axis 15% further then the time taken to reach the center is the same????

Is the goal to conquer center ? I'd rather thought a fair situation will be one where all players will/might have the opportunity to conquer an (almost) equal share of the zone as close as possible from center.
Taking this into account, none of the situation above are fair as 1 of 2 players have the opportunity to conquer almost half the zone depending of the third player turns, while this last player can't ...
I might be wrong but that's what it looks like to me ...
View user's profile Find all posts by Voodoo Send private message Yahoo Messenger