Register  |  Home  |  Chat   |  ArmaBrowser  |  HowTo  |  Wiki  |  ServerStats  |  Donate  |  Forum  |  MapTools  |  Servers  |  Log in 
Forums
Information Desk
Latest News
Round Table
Servers
Trainees
Challenge us!
Off Topic

Clan Information
Public Clan Information
Active CTers+Trainees
All CTers+Trainees
Inactive CTers
CTers Earth Map
CT Groups
CT Medals
Armahacktron Wiki
Forum Ranks
Won/Lost Battles

Servers and Maps
ArmaBrowser
BFC New Ladder
CT Server Ladders
CT Mayhem Ladder
CTWF New Ladder
CT Server Maps
Flower Power Sumo Assault
Map Tools
Want to help? Donate

Jumble
Home Forum
Calendar Chat Messenger IRC
Forum Members
Links FAQ
News View Online

Search

Advanced Search

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Reply to topic
 QUARG's new and improved sumo. 
Friend
CT Rank: Not a CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name: QUARG
GID: QUARG@ct/public
CT Wild Fort Rank: na

http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopic.php?t=17940

is it possible to get this to work with the ct source? or maybe this could be an interesting map for you guys to use.
swing by my folder in the resource and take a look to see if theres anything you like. let me know if there is anything i can help with in mapping.

Ex-CTer
Map Maker (Amount: 1)
Field's place:
Grid Name: syllabear
GID: syllabear@ct/public
ed wrote:

Interesting idea.
Though I can't see a way for it to work as you've suggested with zone v1 system.
You would have to have 32 zones, 4 for each "pod" and 16 in the center.
Each player would have to be assigned one zone in their "pod" and one zone in the centre.
So, you'd set MAX_FORTRESS_PER_TEAM (maybe be slightly different syntax) to 2 to try and accomplish this. But I can't see that zones would be assigned correctly. With a bit of testing and tweaking you might be able to get it to work with exactly 16 players on the grid, but for less that that, you'd have no chance.
As you see, zones on the map don't belong to anyone and are assigned when the grid is created. So, it would assign each player his 2 closest zones. Not one in a pod and one in the centre.

yes... many many zones so lots of lag

however... if you make this a two team match, say for ctwf, and put one team in each pod on either side, and two sumos in each pod (except the starting ones), then you got urself something

A key that opens many doors is a master key. A lock that is opened by many keys is a shit lock
View user's profile Find all posts by syllabear Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Ladle, 1x (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not Ranked
Field's place: sweeper
Grid Name: ct-eddie
GID: ed@ct/jedi
Zones, if used sensibly don't cause a great deal of lag.
True, when used on nano amazing, lag is experienced. Hence why it's now limited to 8 players to reduce the lag.

Quarg, I like the idea. And although not exactly how you you described it, this map could be made to work.
Possible options:

The 16 zones are spawned at the beginning of the round using the SPAWN_ZONE feature, we will then have further control over it during the round.
Then, at a given time into the round, say 60 seconds (would need experimenting), the remaining zones are moved into the center pod and their size is expanded back to 50 to begin the centre battle from scratch.
Or, you could spawn new zones in the center of the grid, collapsing the outside ones.
You may also have to temporarily reduce the fortress_conquest_decay_rate for a short time to give players a chance to get to the center, during the time between outer battle and inner battle.

One thing to be aware of. The guys spawned closest to the centre would have an advantage over the other players as he could easily block their path to the centre.
Maybe, at the crossover stage the walls_length could be reduced to 1 giving everyone an even shot at the centre fight, where they are expanded back to 400.

After much experimenting, I do think it would work, and be a lot of fun. But, I think like any single map on ctwf, the novelty would soon wear off. What you'd need to make the server more popular is to have several similar maps, all with their own crazy sumo battles. Of course rotating with each round.
And at every 30 mins past the hour a Fast Food Tournament would ensue!

Sounds like an interesting place. I'd like to play there Wink

Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Bowl Winner (Amount: 1) defender, 3rd rank (Amount: 1) Fortress Cafe Tournament 1 Winner (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: 14
Field's place: def-sweep
Grid Name: CT~Voodoo
GID: Voodoo@ct/jedi
I didn't see this post before Smile Interesting. I would say it should be possible to avoid the 16 center zones using a script who spawn zones for the survivors in the center for the survivors ... of course the script spawn death zones at start and make them collapse at the right time ...

Edit : haha, I should have read the post till the end. I agree with you Ed.
View user's profile Find all posts by Voodoo Send private message Yahoo Messenger

Friend
Field's place:

but wouldnt there be a way to make a zone active only when a person claims it by going in it. like a neutral zone till its assigned. also i was thinking of limiting access to the center pod with deathzones that would disipate once all the outer pods have been won.
at the moment im still working on getting the source sompiled on mac so till then these are just discusion topics that may or maynot be of use to you. i just thought it might inspire you.Smile

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Ladle, 1x (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not Ranked
Field's place: sweeper
Grid Name: ct-eddie
GID: ed@ct/jedi
QUARG wrote:
but wouldnt there be a way to make a zone active only when a person claims it by going in it. like a neutral zone till its assigned.

No. You can spawn a zone and assign it to a team, in the case of one player per team, the player.
But a fortress zone must belong to someone when it is spawned or it will be assigned to the closest team. If that team already has it's fortress_max_per_team number of zones it will be assigned to the next closest and so on. If all teams on the grid already have their fortress_max_per_team number of zones, the zone evaporates.
You could happily spawn 16 unnassigned fortress zones in the centre of the arena, as long as fortress_max_per_team is set to one, each player will have a zone assigned to him, the others would evaporate.

QUARG wrote:
also i was thinking of limiting access to the center pod with deathzones that would disipate once all the outer pods have been won.

Good idea, but be aware once the outer pods have been conquered the round is over.
The centre zones would have to be spawned before the outer zones die.
I'm not 100% about this, it will need experimenting.

QUARG wrote:
i just thought it might inspire you.Smile

As you see there are many ways to achieve what you're after. Which is the best would be down to trial and error.
Then you'd need some more maps. definately a ladder.
It's an interesting concept, I personally don't have the time right now to take it on. As to do it well would take some time.
But I do hope someone does.

Friend
Field's place:

Good idea, but be aware once the outer pods have been conquered the round is over.

isnt there a way to set min_round_time that would force the round to continue?

i wish i was able to do the trial and error. im really going to have to find somebody to give me a hand with this compiling. i hate thinking of an idea and not being able to work it through to final product. and as for the maps, that would be no problem but there is no point in making a ton of maps that i maybe never be able to use.Smile

Ex-CTer
Map Maker (Amount: 1)
Field's place:
Grid Name: syllabear
GID: syllabear@ct/public
why cant u do it? is it cos u cant host?

A key that opens many doors is a master key. A lock that is opened by many keys is a shit lock
View user's profile Find all posts by syllabear Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Friend
Field's place:

i host a few servers. but as i have stated before. " im really going to have to find somebody to give me a hand with this compiling".
i have tried doing the patching and building fo the source code and always end up with 5 or more errors. this leads me to believe that im not going about it the right way. there seems to be only a handful of mac users that know how to compile the source code and i cant seem to get ahold of any of them.

Friend
Field's place:
Grid Name:
GID: freako@ct/public
CT Wild Fort Rank:

Don't worry Quarg help is on the way Cool

Yesterday I picked up the map, and i changed a bit to another kind of sumo, wrtl helped a bit only , ed,P4, say it just cant be done without hacks, Ill ask Wrtl if he can give some Windos Hacking support(i Hope) and then hope i will get this working