Register  |  Home  |  Chat   |  ArmaBrowser  |  HowTo  |  Wiki  |  ServerStats  |  Donate  |  Forum  |  MapTools  |  Servers  |  Log in 
Forums
Information Desk
Latest News
Round Table
Servers
Trainees
Challenge us!
Off Topic

Clan Information
Public Clan Information
Active CTers+Trainees
All CTers+Trainees
Inactive CTers
CTers Earth Map
CT Groups
CT Medals
Armahacktron Wiki
Forum Ranks
Won/Lost Battles

Servers and Maps
ArmaBrowser
BFC New Ladder
CT Server Ladders
CT Mayhem Ladder
CTWF New Ladder
CT Server Maps
Flower Power Sumo Assault
Map Tools
Want to help? Donate

Jumble
Home Forum
Calendar Chat Messenger IRC
Forum Members
Links FAQ
News View Online

Search

Advanced Search

User Block
Username:

Password:

Remember me

I forgot my password

Don't have an account yet?
You can register for FREE

Reply to topic
 Got to bring the Crazy Tronners Servers down. 
Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Ladle, 1x (Amount: 1) Map Maker (Amount: 1)
CT Rank: Not Ranked
Field's place: sweeper
Grid Name: ct-eddie
GID: ed@ct/jedi
CT Wild Fort Rank: na
Sorry.

Didn't read the small print. I have to pay 99p for every Gb used over 10GB (you're unlikely to go over that, it says).

The tron server uses about 2.5 Gb a day. It's currently costing my about £2.50 a day to keep it up. That's £75 per month, which I just can't afford.

Sorry. Until further notice, the Crazy Tronners Fortresses are down.

Last edited by ed on Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place: support
Grid Name:
GID: Shadow@ct/senior
CT Wild Fort Rank:
That's not a good news...

So we need to find a new server.
Robed, with your new status, I'm sure you will be able to find a solution. For my part, I will use my public relations (lol) to try to find something.

~ Shdow ~
 Oh 
Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Donator (Amount: 1)
Field's place: support
Grid Name: CTX3V1
GID: xevic@ct/jedi
Was a really pitty, perhaps we can talk with other tron admins to let us put our server on their server, perhaps we will close other servers and just can have wild...

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
xevic wrote:
Was a really pitty, perhaps we can talk with other tron admins to let us put our server on their server, perhaps we will close other servers and just can have wild...

Maybe someone will be willing to host it. Don't know.

And it was the Wild Fortress that was using the bandwidth, The others were rarely used.

It is a shame. I'm gutted.

Ex-CTer
CT Rank: Not a CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
GID: Not working
CT Wild Fort Rank:
Tron does seem to use alot of bandwidth, even client side :/

2.5GB * 30 = 75 GB, 75GB per month is going to cost, no matter what you do. Anyone in the US/Europ have one of them 8 or 10 Mbit/s internet connections from the 'unlimited internet' major internet companies? There's no compatition in canada for that stuff yet, so fastest we got is 3Mb/s, unless your paying over $100 CAN :/ But off of a 8 or 10 Mb connection, you can usually get a 3 or 5Mb upload speed. I'd host, but 1) my inet connection is slow; 2) I pay extra after 30Gb :/

Maybe google can find someting?

We could always higher a canadian cracker to install a ct tronners server on the microsoft servers, lol! Razz You'd have to pay me enough to move to europe and change my identity and live happily ever after Very Happy I meen him, pay him, I'm not a cracker o.O I don't even talk 1337! not me!
------------------------- EDIT -----------------------
http://www.tadulako.net/dedicated-server.shtml
- Celeron 700MHZ 512MB PC133 NA/(2)9GB 100GB/MONTH 5 FREE $49.95

http://www.nzwebit.com/dedicated.htm

Not sure if these let you install your own stuff (like the atron server)

This one should accomodate our needs (and installed atron or at least let us install it)
http://www.vskgamingservers.com/dedicated.php

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:
Hurmmm... a litle off topic, and a litle already done...

What about a monthly 5 player per teams CT wild turny, that you have to pay say $5 per player, or $20 per team to enter or something. winning team take 30% 2nd 20% CT server costs take 50%

8 teams x $20 = $160
$160 * 50% = $80
160 * 30% = $48
160 * 20% = $32

Could do it 1st place 40% 2nd place entrance fee refund.

Payment through pay pal, can be set-up with minimal effort.

I think with the possibility of making money, we could get a fair amount of teams. Also, since we'd be in charge, we would be able to organize the matches alot better (we could "dictate" match times, but you know, be reasonable about it).

Thoughts? do NOT go making a poll just yet, let's discuss other possibilities first, and toil a while with this one... Razz

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place:
Grid Name: Racer
GID: PTA@ct/jedi
I think I'm able to get a server with enough traffic and root-access.
There are some some good possibilites here, to get this. For example at Hetzner (a serverhoster with awesome support and very good backbone even in the USA) you get an AthlonXP 2000+ with 1Gig RAM, 500GB freetraffic for 30 Euro (~35-40 USD).
But a friend of mine has bought a rack with 42 U and maybe there's a server he doesn't use, I will ask him as fast as I see him online.
I also have already a virtual server for my own homepage, e-mail, aso., but because different people use it, the performance isn't enough for a gameserver.

@robed: i've got an 6MBit Connection (in some moths 16 Smile) with 2MBit Upload....but the speed of these private connections isn't the problem - the ping is it. Because there are several routing stations the ping gets worse the more people are playing. In my opinion this is no solution.
Btw: 0,99p per GB? Here, it's 19 Eurocent, ten times less.

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
Robed, It's a nice idea and in practice it could work.

I think the problem is that there will be 2 or 3 very strong teams, and other teams will know that they won't beat these strong teams. I don't think they'd pay $5 knowing they'd lose it.

PTA, hopefully your friend can help. I have all config files, scripts, maps, etc and can explain the set up of it. It's not your average server, but there's nothing too complicated about it. Doesn't use a great deal of cpu or memory, but uses a shit load of bandwidth. It's not just the tron play, it's that everyone has to download the maps also.

My server currently costs £29 for up to 10Gb/month. If I'd paid £49 I'd have got a higher spec server and unlimited bandwidth. Doh! I'm now tied into the server I have till september and cannot upgrade.

Ex-CTer
Field's place:
Grid Name:
CT Wild Fort Rank:
ed wrote:
It's not just the tron play, it's that everyone has to download the maps also.

You don't need to host the resource files on the actual server. I could host them from my home computer (long as we don't do ~generated~ maps). I'm sure the game is what hogs the bandwidth, although the map files probably take a fair bit over the course of a month Razz

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place:
@ed we can try if my private internet connection is good enough for the public wild fortress, but i can't promise any success. what do you need (except the server itself) to get this thing running?

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
PTA wrote:
@ed we can try if my private internet connection is good enough for the public wild fortress, but i can't promise any success. what do you need (except the server itself) to get this thing running?

Well, there's the main map rotation script that is posted in another topic. This is a bash script so works on *nix based machines. Is your server windows or *nix?
If it's windows perhaps Robed can convert it to a perl script which should work on both (assuming you have perl installed, easy to do on both platforms).

I think robed's idea of hosting the maps on a different server is a good, may help a bit with lag issues (if the game is in full swing and a new person joins, he may need to download the map that is in progress, this could lag the game a little).
Myself or Robed could host the maps.

Other than that it's a standard Armagetronad Dedicated Server. I can mail you the config files. I have put all the settings into file settings_dedicated.cfg . settings.cfg needs to exist also, but it's empty on my setup. This is not the best way to do it As settings_dedicated gets overwritten if you update. But as long as you're aware of this, it's no problem.

In fact I've just uploaded it to http://plantpeanuts.co.uk/resource/ed/fortress/
Here are all the maps and settings_dedicated.cfg. Remember to empty the file settings.cfg else you'll have problems.

Any problems, let me know.

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place:
My system is running linux, kernel 2.6.16, there'll be no problem. I've set up the dedicated server, turned on the port-forwarding at my router and changed the settings-files. There's only one more problem, my game-directory is /games/armagetronad-ded and in there, there's an maps-folder. So I changed the Setting MAP_FILE to /games/armagetronad-ded/maps/lookout...
But now the server says, if I want to load the map "Absolute Filename, the server is trying to overwrite system files. The map /games/armageton..blabla could not be loaded or parsed".
Have I to use a relative filename, and if it is so, what's the relative path (or whats the absolute path for the server?)

Crazy Tronner
Honorary Member
Field's place:
ok, have it Wink
so now, i only need the map-rotation script

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
PTA wrote:
My system is running linux, kernel 2.6.16, there'll be no problem. I've set up the dedicated server, turned on the port-forwarding at my router and changed the settings-files. There's only one more problem, my game-directory is /games/armagetronad-ded and in there, there's an maps-folder. So I changed the Setting MAP_FILE to /games/armagetronad-ded/maps/lookout...
But now the server says, if I want to load the map "Absolute Filename, the server is trying to overwrite system files. The map /games/armageton..blabla could not be loaded or parsed".
Have I to use a relative filename, and if it is so, what's the relative path (or whats the absolute path for the server?)

the lookout map is only there to start the game off. once the other maps kick in, it's no longer needed.
For now change the line to
Code:
MAP_FILE   Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml

This is the default square fortress map and you will be able to test the setup.

Tron server is very picky about where the maps are placed, which is why you got the error message.

On my setup, the path is /etc/armagetronad-dedicated/ed/fortress

And the map has to be in dir "fortress", in dir "ed" in the maps dir.
This is governed my the map which starts:

Code:

<Resource type="aamap" name="behind_you" version="0.0.7" author="ed" category="fortress">

find where map Z-Man/fortress/for_old_clients-0.1.0.aamap.xml is. create a folder called ed in the dame dir as Z-Man, in that create fortress, and put all the maps there.

If I'm too confusing let me know.
Do you have the latest dedicated server? How did you install it?

Jedi
Crazy Tronner
Server Tech
Honorary Member
PTA wrote:
ok, have it Wink
so now, i only need the map-rotation script

The script is here:

http://tron.plantpeanuts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=42